The vestry is made up of members who are elected by the congregation during the annual meeting. Among the members are the Senior Warden, who serves as the leader of the vestry and a support person for the rector, and the Junior Warden, who is responsible for the building and grounds. All the members are trusted with administrative leadership, planning, managing resources, financial matters, and supporting the church’s mission. Our current vestry members are:
These non-vestry members play a significant support role to our Vestry.
These select few help keep our day-to-day operations and weekly services running smoothly.
*Based on data from Realm, the digital parish directory, 2020.
St. Philip’s is a downtown parish that serves members who travel from all over the city of Jacksonville. We also have a culturally diverse parish population. The membership is primarily mature, and the majority are loyal members who have attended St. Philip’s for many years. Our congregation is led by the Vestry which encourages the generous giving of time, talent, and treasure.
We have taken bold steps to modernize the tracking of talents and gifts that each member possesses. We’re also working to maximize their efficiency for the spreading of God’s Kingdom.
About 1872, the Rev. Brook G. White, an inspired catalyst, and the Rt. Rev. John Freeman Young, Bishop of the Diocese of Florida, organized and established a mission to serve the Black population. This mission became St. Philip’s Episcopal Church. With donations from the community, property was purchased at the corner of Union and Cedar (now Pearl) Streets, and a small frame church was erected. A rectory was also constructed with funds given by the wife of Fr. White.
On November 22, 1900, The Rt. Rev. Edwin G. Weed laid the cornerstone for a larger facility. The original frame church was moved back to allow construction of the new church in the original consecrated landmark. On May 3, 1901 the wooden frame church and the rectory were destroyed in the Great Jacksonville fire of 1901. A parishioner, Mamie Ewart Port, who lived nearby, rushed to the church and retrieved several of the brass pieces and communion vessels, some of which are in use today.